Wednesday 3 April 2013

Toilets

Now I thought that it would be prudent to mention the toilets here in Japan. And I also thought that this was a subject that required its own desperate post.
Before I arrived in Japan, I'd heard a few things and watched a few programmes about toilet. I even went as far as watching a programme about how they're made (Yes I'm probably a bit too mad about Japan).



When I got here, I saw my first ever Japanese toilet at the airport. I was apprehensive, because 1. it had loads of buttons and 2. it's a public toilet. I hate public toilets. After years of having to deal with the crap you get in British toilets (literally!), I'm sure most of you can understand my fear. Not to go into too much detail, suffice to say, I hovered. :-P A public toilet is a public toilet after all.
Then I got to my hotel and saw my en-suite toilet. What?! No buttons? I was a little disappointed as I was curious about the little functions I saw on the airport toilet. Oh well, moving on.

Forgot to take a photo :'(

As the days went on, I encountered the usual western toilet and made sure I avoided the Japanese style toilets. Yes, they still exists. It's surprising how many Japanese toilets are still around. You'll find them in most restrooms as you're given the option of using a western or Japanese toilet.

These Japanese toilets are weird, freaky, scary and any other word you can use to describe something that clearly throws you out of your comfort zone. I told myself that I wasn't going to use one EVER!
Hmmm... that plan went down the toilet literally. Again I won't go into loads of detail, but I'd been out for cocktails and was going to get the train back to my hotel. As I was getting to my platform, I decided tom use the restroom (wouldn't have made it back to my hotel =-O). Imagine my horror when I discovered that all of the toilets were Japanese style toilets. All of them.

Right, my choices: 1. I try to wait until I get back to my hotel whilst hoping for the best. Or 2. I stop being a wuss and just do it. I'm the sort of person who will give anything a go once, so I bloody well did. Verdict? I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Lol


I vowed that I wouldn't do it again, then I went to Osaka castle and lo and behold, there was another restroom with all Japanese style toilets. :'( Again, I had no choice.

It's not all bad though. I stayed at my friend's place with her family for a couple of nights and they had a western style toilet. I didn't take a photo as I thought that would be a bit rude. But I have to say, the seat was HEATED! So warm. Rofl.

Anyway enough about toilets. Jere are some photos of the toilet in my current (2nd) hotel. Yay buttons, which I highly doubt I'll use. :-) 


This toilet has a tap, under the seat, which automatically runs when you sit down. Also a couple of nozzles, one to clean the front and one to clean the back. :-) 

Instructions. Rofl!

No comments:

Post a Comment